Zelenskyy said some of Fedorov’s actions before and after leaving the government were misguided
Zelenskyy said some of Fedorov’s actions before and after leaving the government were misguided

Starlink row, Patriot gaps and $27 billion funding hole deepen strain on Ukraine’s war

Ukrainian leader details disagreements with former defence minister, acknowledges misinformation in talks with Trump and warns of dwindling air-defence stocks

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has publicly detailed his differences with former Defence Minister Mykhailo Fedorov for the first time, revealing disagreements over politics, military spending and Starlink even as Ukraine confronts a worsening shortage of Patriot interceptor missiles.

Zelenskyy made the remarks during a lengthy interaction with journalists on Saturday, a transcript of which was released on Sunday. He said some of Fedorov’s actions before and after leaving the government were misguided, although he continued to credit the former minister with helping modernise Ukraine’s armed forces and expand the military use of technology and drones.

The disclosures offered a rare glimpse into divisions within Ukraine’s wartime leadership at a moment when Kyiv is simultaneously dealing with intensified Russian attacks, strained finances and uncertainty over supplies of critical Western weapons.

Protests, election call widened rift

Fedorov was dismissed as defence minister last month, a decision that triggered unusual public protests. Zelenskyy said he disagreed with Fedorov’s involvement in the demonstrations and was particularly critical of his subsequent call for elections while the country remained at war.

The Ukrainian president argued that elections during the conflict could destabilise the country and weaken the unity needed to resist Russia. Fedorov had publicly raised the possibility of a wartime vote while also criticising corruption.

Despite their differences, Zelenskyy said he retained a positive assessment of Fedorov’s technological contribution to the war effort. He also disclosed that the former minister had been offered four alternative government positions after his dismissal but declined them.

Starlink information caused Trump clash

One of the more striking revelations concerned Ukraine’s attempt to expand the use of Elon Musk’s Starlink satellite network for operations inside Russian territory.

Kyiv has sought permission to use Starlink-linked drones to strike mobile Russian ballistic missile launchers before they can fire on Ukrainian cities and infrastructure. Such operations could potentially reach targets up to 200 kilometres inside Russia.

Zelenskyy said his Defence Ministry had informed him that SpaceX was prepared to permit such use if political approval could be secured. Acting on that information, he raised the proposal with US President Donald Trump and indicated that Musk had agreed.

Musk subsequently rejected the proposal because of concerns that it could lead to further escalation. Zelenskyy said the episode left Trump believing that the Ukrainian leader had given him inaccurate information.

The president blamed incorrect information reaching him through the Defence Ministry for the embarrassing exchange.

Patriot supplies fall sharply

The Starlink issue has become more pressing because Ukraine is struggling to secure enough Patriot interceptors to defend against Russian ballistic missiles.

Zelenskyy disclosed that Ukraine received 675 Patriot missiles in 2023, but the figure fell to 364 in 2025. Only about 264 are expected during 2026, even as Russia intensifies its use of ballistic weapons.

Ukraine’s Air Force has requested another 360 Patriot interceptors. Zelenskyy said he was seeking at least 300 additional missiles to strengthen the country's defences ahead of winter.

The shortage carries particular significance because the US-made Patriot remains Ukraine's principal system capable of intercepting the high-speed ballistic missiles being used by Russia. Moscow’s expanding aerial campaign has consequently increased Kyiv’s dependence on a supply of interceptors that is becoming harder to replenish.

Macron promises faster deliveries

Ukraine has turned to European allies for additional assistance. French President Emmanuel Macron has agreed to accelerate deliveries of French air-defence equipment and missiles following talks with Zelenskyy.

Macron also indicated that France would approach countries holding Patriot stocks to seek additional interceptors for Ukraine. Kyiv is meanwhile awaiting the SAMP/T-NG system developed by France and Italy as another potential defence against ballistic threats.

The growing pressure was underscored by a major Russian missile and drone attack this week that killed at least 16 people in the Kyiv region and damaged apartment buildings and other civilian infrastructure.

$27 billion defence funding gap

Weapons are not Kyiv’s only problem. Zelenskyy also disclosed that higher-than-expected military spending has left Ukraine facing a defence financing shortfall of around $27 billion this year.

He said additional money would also be required to enter 2027 on a stable footing and cover military salaries, payments to families of fallen personnel and other defence expenditure.

The combination of funding constraints and dwindling missile stocks has increased the urgency behind Ukraine’s search for cheaper ways of countering Russian attacks. Using long-range drones to destroy launchers before missiles are fired is one such strategy — explaining why access to Starlink coverage over Russian territory has become strategically important.

Zelenskyy’s comments therefore went beyond his political dispute with Fedorov. They exposed the increasingly difficult calculations confronting Kyiv as it attempts to balance internal political unity, relations with Washington, weapons shortages and the financial cost of sustaining the war while Russian attacks continue.

Responsive Banner
Fact Net
www.fact.net.in