Canada gurdwara attack: Man stabs 2 with screwdriver a day after jail release
Two people were injured in a stabbing at a gurdwara in Edmonton, Canada, on Friday morning after they confronted a man who allegedly tried to enter the prayer area. Police arrested a 27-year-old suspect, who was carrying a screwdriver at the time of the incident.
The attack took place at the Nanaksar Gurdwara Gursikh Temple. Police said the accused had been released from a federal institution just a day earlier, where he had been serving a sentence for aggravated assault and assaulting a peace officer.
Stabbing reported during morning prayers
The Edmonton Police Service (EPS) first received a report at 4:49 am about a man walking in traffic on Highway 15 near Horsehill Road. Around 16 minutes later, officers began receiving reports of a stabbing at the gurdwara.
According to preliminary information, the man entered the premises and attempted to access the prayer area. Staff members confronted him, following which the situation escalated.
"The confrontation then escalated and two male patrons of the gurdwara were stabbed. Witnesses intervened and detained the man until Northeast Branch patrol officers arrived at 5:10 am and immediately took him into custody," police said.
The victims, aged 75 and 51, were taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
Accused released from prison a day earlier
Acting Inspector Eric Stewart said the suspect was already known to police and had a history of violent offences.
"At this time we can tell you that the 27-year-old man is known to police and has a significant history of violent offences dating back to 2015. We have learned that he was released from a federal institution yesterday, August 20, where he had been serving a sentence for aggravated assault and assaulting a peace officer, and he failed to report to his designated Edmonton halfway house," Stewart said.
Police are also examining whether the attack was hate-motivated. The suspect's identity has not been released as charges are still pending.
Edmonton Police Service Chief Warren Driechel said investigators would consider all relevant provisions of the Criminal Code if an ideological motive is established.
"This level of violence has no place in our city, and we want to ensure the Sikh community and all Edmontonians that we are taking this incident and their safety, seriously."
Sikh community condemns attack
World Sikh Organisation Board Member Harman Kandola described the incident as a "reminder of the growing threat of anti-Sikh hate."
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney also condemned the attack.
"The attack at the Nanaksar Gurdwara in Edmonton this morning is appalling. My thoughts are with the two people who were injured and the wider community that is shaken by this terrible event. No one should ever feel unsafe in their place of worship," Carney wrote on X.
Police said the investigation remains underway.
.png)
