US redirects 67 vessels, disables three as Iran naval blockade tightens

US redirects 67 vessels, disables three as Iran naval blockade tightens

CENTCOM says American forces have redirected 67 commercial vessels, disabled three and boarded two as Washington steps up maritime enforcement against Iran amid renewed tensions in the Hormuz

US forces have redirected 67 commercial vessels, disabled three and boarded two as part of operations to enforce Washington’s naval blockade against Iran, the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) has said. Providing an update on the maritime operation, CENTCOM said the figures were current as of August 20 and reflected continuing efforts to ensure compliance with restrictions on vessels travelling to and from Iranian ports. The latest numbers indicate an expansion of interdiction activity in recent days as Washington increases pressure on Tehran.

The operation comes amid heightened tensions in and around the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most important energy corridors, where the conflict has severely disrupted commercial shipping and competing US and Iranian attempts to control maritime movement.

Interdictions increase

The number of vessels redirected by American forces has risen steadily. Earlier this month, CENTCOM had reported redirecting 49 commercial vessels, while two had been disabled and two boarded. By August 18, the number of redirected ships had increased to 64 and the number disabled to three.

The latest update takes the redirected total to 67, while the number of disabled and boarded vessels remains at three and two, respectively.

The US blockade is aimed specifically at maritime traffic entering or leaving Iranian ports and coastal areas. Washington has maintained that ships travelling through the Strait of Hormuz to non-Iranian destinations are not the intended targets of the operation.

American officials have said military forces can intercept, redirect or take further action against vessels that fail to comply with instructions issued as part of the blockade.

Blockade restored after ceasefire collapse

The United States initially imposed its blockade of Iranian ports in April, but maritime restrictions were subsequently eased during efforts to establish a ceasefire. Enforcement was renewed in July after the fragile arrangements between Washington and Tehran broke down.

The renewed operation forms part of a wider US strategy designed to place economic pressure on Iran while avoiding a significant expansion of direct military operations.

US officials have argued that restricting maritime trade can deprive Tehran of crucial revenue and increase pressure on its economy. The Trump administration is simultaneously preparing tougher financial sanctions against Iran, with Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent warning that Tehran could face what he described as the most severe sanctions imposed on the country.

Hormuz remains flashpoint

The Strait of Hormuz has meanwhile remained at the centre of the confrontation. Shipping through the narrow waterway has fallen sharply as vessel operators contend with attacks, military activity and uncertainty over whether ships will be permitted to transit safely.

Iran has insisted that it retains control over traffic through the strait and has accused vessels of attempting to cross without its permission. The United States, however, has continued to maintain a naval presence in the region and says its forces are assisting commercial ships seeking safe passage.

The confrontation has had consequences far beyond the Gulf because the Strait of Hormuz traditionally handles a substantial share of internationally traded oil and liquefied natural gas. Reduced traffic and attacks on commercial vessels have contributed to higher shipping costs, increased insurance risks and volatility in global energy markets.

Washington maintains pressure

The Trump administration has indicated that it is prepared to sustain the blockade for an extended period. US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth has previously said the military has the capability to maintain the operation by rotating naval forces deployed to the region.

Washington is also seeking international cooperation to isolate Tehran economically, with particular attention on countries that continue purchasing Iranian energy.

CENTCOM’s latest figures show that physical enforcement at sea remains a central element of that campaign. With 67 commercial vessels now redirected and five subjected to stronger intervention through disabling or boarding, the maritime confrontation is continuing even as Washington increasingly emphasises economic pressure as its preferred means of forcing concessions from Tehran.

Responsive Banner
Fact Net
www.fact.net.in