The incident dates back to August 15, when Meena allegedly took more than 200 students to a dam located around two kilometres from the school.
The incident dates back to August 15, when Meena allegedly took more than 200 students to a dam located around two kilometres from the school

Alwar school principal suspended after video of him 'bathing' with girl students at a dam surfaces

Education department orders inquiry after principal allegedly takes over 200 students to deep reservoir where bathing was prohibited

The principal of a government school in Rajasthan’s Alwar district has been suspended after a video purportedly showing him bathing in a dam alongside girl students surfaced on social media, prompting a departmental inquiry into his conduct.

Lal Chand Meena, principal of Government Senior Secondary School, Raubavi Padak Chhapli in the Thanagazi area, was suspended with immediate effect by the Directorate of Secondary Education in Bikaner. The action followed circulation of videos involving Meena and students of the school. The education department has said that the conduct visible in the footage prima facie violated rules governing public servants. A formal departmental inquiry has now been initiated to establish the circumstances surrounding the incident.

Over 200 students taken to dam

The incident dates back to August 15, when Meena allegedly took more than 200 students to a dam located around two kilometres from the school. During the visit, the principal was allegedly filmed in the water with girl students of Classes 11 and 12. Some students recorded videos of the outing, and the footage subsequently circulated widely on social media.

The outing has also raised questions about student safety. Reports said the reservoir had water about 11 feet deep and bathing at the site was prohibited because of the danger of drowning. The combination of the safety concerns and the principal’s alleged conduct prompted demands for action after the footage became public.

Three-member panel begins probe

Alwar District Education Officer Manoj Sharma said serious allegations had been made against the principal by local residents. A three-member committee has been constituted to conduct an impartial inquiry into the matter. The departmental proceedings against Meena have been initiated under Rule 13(1) of the Rajasthan Civil Services (Classification, Control and Appeal) Rules, 1958. During his suspension, his headquarters will remain at the Directorate of Secondary Education in Bikaner.

The inquiry is expected to examine why such a large group of students was taken to the reservoir, what safety arrangements had been made and the circumstances in which the principal entered the water with the students.

Police also examine video

Police have also taken cognisance of the footage and begun looking into the incident. No conclusion has yet been announced regarding possible criminal liability, and further action is expected to depend on the findings of the inquiry and evidence collected by authorities. The episode has renewed attention on the responsibilities of school authorities during outings involving minors, particularly when students are taken to potentially hazardous locations.

For the education department, the immediate action has been to remove Meena from his post pending the investigation. The inquiry will determine whether further disciplinary proceedings are warranted and whether others were responsible for allowing the students to be taken to the dam.

Responsive Banner
Fact Net
www.fact.net.in