CM Hemant Soren scraps JSSC-CGL exam, CBI probe into recruitment tests; Mahto ends hunger strike

CM Hemant Soren scraps JSSC-CGL exam, CBI probe into recruitment tests; Mahto ends hunger strike

Soren govt cancels TDPL-linked recruitment processes after sustained student protests; Devendra Nath Mahato ends hunger strike but says fight for transparent exam system will continue

After more than three weeks of protests over alleged irregularities in government recruitment examinations, the Hemant Soren-led Jharkhand government on Monday accepted several key demands of agitating aspirants, cancelling the controversial JSSC-CGL examination and all examinations conducted through private agency TDPL.

The decision marked a major breakthrough in an agitation that had steadily intensified in Ranchi, drawing thousands of government job aspirants, triggering confrontations with police and putting mounting political pressure on the state government. Student leader Devendra Nath Mahato, one of the prominent faces of the movement, ended his indefinite hunger strike following the announcement.

Chief Minister Hemant Soren announced the decisions after consultations with his ministers on Monday. Apart from scrapping the JSSC-CGL recruitment process, the government said examinations conducted through TSR Data Processing Private Limited (TDPL) would be cancelled along with their results.

Recruitment process scrapped

The action effectively nullifies the JSSC-CGL examination, its results and the subsequent recruitment process. The government has also moved against other examinations associated with TDPL, an outsourced agency whose role had come under intense scrutiny during the protests. The decision is significant because the protesters had argued that the controversy extended beyond one examination and reflected deeper weaknesses in Jharkhand's recruitment machinery. Their demands included cancellation of the JSSC-CGL process, action over TDPL-conducted examinations and an independent investigation into alleged irregularities.

The government has also cancelled the 14th JPSC examination and backlog examinations, addressing another major demand raised during the agitation. Soren said the government would not allow the future of students to be compromised and indicated that the recruitment system would undergo broader changes aimed at restoring confidence among aspirants.

Probe widens

The government has decided to widen the investigation into alleged examination irregularities rather than limit scrutiny to the latest controversy. A probe will examine recruitment examinations going back to 2014, while the Criminal Investigation Department has already stepped up its investigation into the controversy. The CID action included a raid at the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission office as the government came under increasing pressure to act.

The government has also proposed an inquiry under a retired judge and measures to strengthen standard operating procedures governing recruitment examinations. An examination reforms mechanism is expected to look at vulnerabilities in the existing system and recommend safeguards for future tests. The move assumes importance because the protesters' central argument throughout the agitation was that cancelling individual examinations would provide only temporary relief unless the mechanisms governing question papers, examination agencies, evaluation and results were overhauled.

Protest grew for weeks

The decision followed an agitation that had continued for more than three weeks and was showing signs of escalating further. Students and job aspirants had been protesting against alleged irregularities in examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission and Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission. The movement centred on Ranchi's Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium and later spilled into demonstrations near the state Assembly and other parts of the capital.

Tensions rose after protesters faced police action during demonstrations. Mahato was admitted to Ranchi's Sadar Hospital after a protest near the Assembly witnessed lathicharge, tear gas and water cannons, but continued his hunger strike from hospital. Several rounds of negotiations between the government and student representatives failed to produce an immediate settlement. A previous round of talks on August 9 had remained inconclusive, prompting the government to invite protesters for another discussion on Monday.

By Sunday, protesters had threatened to intensify their agitation and march towards the Chief Minister's residence on August 20 if their demands remained unresolved.

Hunger strike ends

Mahato, who began his indefinite hunger strike on August 2, called off the fast after the government announced the cancellations. He thanked students, their families, the media, police, the state government and Soren following the decision. His hunger strike had emerged as a rallying point for the movement, particularly after his health deteriorated and he was hospitalised. Even from hospital, Mahato had maintained that the fast would continue until the principal demands of aspirants were addressed.

He had earlier indicated that cancellation of examinations conducted through TDPL would provide the basis for ending his hunger strike. The government's announcement therefore brought an immediate end to one of the most visible elements of the agitation.

‘Struggle will continue’

Mahato, however, made it clear that Monday's decision should not be seen as the end of the students' campaign. Welcoming the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination, he said the larger struggle was for a recruitment system in which aspirants could have confidence that examinations would be conducted fairly and transparently.

The student leader said the movement would continue to press for comprehensive education and examination reforms, arguing that aspirants needed guarantees against a recurrence of controversies surrounding recruitment tests. For the protesters, the focus is consequently expected to shift from cancellation of examinations to implementation of reforms and accountability for any wrongdoing established during the investigations.

Political pressure mounts

The agitation had also developed into a major political issue for the Soren government. Opposition BJP legislators protested over alleged JPSC-JSSC examination irregularities, while leaders from within the ruling coalition also pressed for dialogue with the students. Congress leader Rahul Gandhi had called for the grievances of the protesters to be addressed, adding to pressure on the state government to find a resolution.

With Monday's announcement, the government has succeeded in defusing the immediate confrontation. But the larger test will be whether the investigations establish what went wrong and whether the promised reforms can prevent similar controversies. For thousands of Jharkhand's government job aspirants, the cancellation is a significant victory after weeks on the streets. Their movement, however, has now moved to its next demand — ensuring that the state's recruitment system is rebuilt around transparency, accountability and examinations whose credibility does not have to be fought for after the results are declared.

Responsive Banner
Fact Net
www.fact.net.in