Students gather during a protest over alleged irregularities in the 14th JPSC examination, JSSC-CGL and other recruitment tests, in Ranchi | File image/PTI
Students gather during a protest over alleged irregularities in the 14th JPSC examination, JSSC-CGL and other recruitment tests, in Ranchi | File image/PTI

Jharkhand High Court stays government order cancelling 22 JPSC, JSSC exams

The cancelled exams included recruitment tests for deputy collectors, assistant professors, engineers, civil judges and other posts

The Jharkhand High Court on Thursday stayed the state government’s decision to cancel 22 recruitment examinations conducted through the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC).

The government had cancelled the examinations citing complaints of irregularities and information that emerged during a CID investigation. The move had triggered legal challenges from candidates whose selections and appointments were affected.

Government cited exam irregularities

The state government had said the cancellations followed "complaints regarding irregularities in ongoing examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and executed through TDPL, and based on facts brought before the government during the CID investigation."

It had also announced the formation of a committee to examine reforms in the JPSC and JSSC examination system.

The cancelled examinations cover a wide range of recruitment processes, including tests for drug inspectors, assistant professors, deputy collectors, dental doctors, assistant engineers, civil judges, additional public prosecutors and forest range officers.

Examinations for lecturers in government polytechnics, senior scientific officers, assistant conservators of forests and several administrative and technical posts were also included.

Selected candidates challenge cancellation

Four petitions were filed against the government's decision. The petitioners include successful candidates from the 11th-13th JPSC Combined Civil Services Examination, JSSC-CGL and the Food Safety Officer examination.

Candidates including Avadhesh Kumar, Deepmala, Sonam Kumari and Saurabh Singh are among those who approached the court.

Their principal argument is that the government cancelled the examinations and subsequent appointments without giving affected candidates an opportunity to explain their position.

Several petitioners had already joined government service after clearing the recruitment processes. They argued that the decision had put their employment at risk despite their selection through the prescribed examination procedure.

Candidates invoke natural justice

The petitioners have also relied on the principles of natural justice, arguing that any candidate suspected of wrongdoing should be dealt with individually following an inquiry.

They have contended that cancelling the entire recruitment process and removing all selected candidates was unjust when they themselves had not been accused of any irregularity.

The candidates said they appeared for the examinations according to the prescribed procedure, secured positions on the merit lists and were subsequently appointed to government posts.

In the JSSC-CGL matter, some petitioners have further argued that the results were announced in compliance with earlier High Court orders. This has raised questions over the government's subsequent decision to cancel the entire examination.

The High Court's stay provides temporary relief to the affected candidates as the legal challenge to the government's cancellation order continues.

Responsive Banner
Fact Net
www.fact.net.in