CJP accuses Centre of ‘betrayal’, warns of fresh protest over unfulfilled promises
The Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) on Sunday accused the Centre of failing to honour commitments made to end its month-long agitation over the NEET paper leak, warning that it could return to the streets if the assurances given to protesters were not implemented. The online collective-turned-pressure group alleged that the government had broken the trust of young people after securing the withdrawal of its Jantar Mantar protest on the basis of assurances made during negotiations. The CJP said it would meet on August 24 to decide its next course of action.
CJP alleges breach of trust
In a statement, the group said commitments made to young protesters could not be diluted or delayed after demonstrations had ended. It accused the government of attempting to back away from assurances once protesters had left the streets. The CJP described any failure to honour the commitments as a “vishwasghaat”, or betrayal, of the country's youth. It called on the Centre to implement the assurances in both letter and spirit. A major point of contention concerns FIRs registered against students and others during the protests. The CJP alleged that despite requests from the court concerning cases that were to be considered for quashing, the government had yet to provide the required list. CJP co-convenor Saurav Das and legal affairs lead Ratna Singh had earlier raised concerns that the government could retreat from the commitments after the agitation was called off.
Three assurances at centre of dispute
The CJP ended its agitation on July 25 after more than a month of protests, saying at the time that the government had accepted its principal demands. The demonstrations had centred on the NEET paper leak controversy and broader demands for reform of India's examination system.
According to the CJP, three major assurances formed the basis for ending the protest. These included maximum possible compensation for families of students who died by suicide in cases linked to the NEET paper leak and withdrawal of FIRs filed by the Centre and NDA-ruled states against people involved in the demonstrations.
The group also said the government had agreed to consider its five-point examination reform charter and hold further discussions with CJP representatives on proposed changes to the examination system. The organisation now claims that progress on these commitments has been inadequate. It alleged that no government delegation had contacted its representatives to explain what steps had been taken towards implementing the assurances, including compensation for affected families.
August 24 meeting to decide next move
The CJP has asked students, supporters, young citizens and volunteers across the country to remain prepared ahead of its August 24 meeting, signalling the possibility of another round of demonstrations. The organisation said the previous agitation had contributed to the resignation of then Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan but maintained that the movement would not end until the remaining commitments were fulfilled.
The warning comes as the group continues to remain active on education-related issues after the end of its Delhi agitation. Its founder Abhijeet Dipke was recently booked along with other CJP workers in Maharashtra's Latur for allegedly entering a government school without permission.
Pressure mounts over protest cases
The dispute over FIRs could become a key factor in determining whether the CJP launches another mobilisation. Withdrawal of cases against protesters had been presented by the group as one of the central outcomes of negotiations with the government. The CJP has maintained that the end of its Jantar Mantar agitation was conditional on implementation of the assurances and has now sought concrete action rather than further promises. With its leadership scheduled to meet on Monday, the organisation's decision could determine whether the agitation that dominated the Capital for more than a month returns to the streets.
.png)
