US President Donald Trump has announced what he called the “most crushing economic operation” ever imposed against a country, targeting Iran and warning nations against providing Tehran with financial or commercial support.
In a post on Truth Social on Wednesday, Trump said the United States would pursue economic warfare and unprecedented isolation against Iran. He warned that financial institutions, businesses, airports and government entities that support Tehran could face “tremendous” consequences.
“Today, I am announcing the most crushing economic operation ever taken against any country. This will be economic warfare and isolation on an unprecedented scale,” Trump wrote.
Trump calls for Iran’s economic isolation
Trump urged countries to stop activities that he said were helping Iran maintain its economy, including “oil smuggling, swap lines, cash transfers, exchange houses, ship registries, front companies”.
He did not identify any specific country for punishment or outline the measures that could follow. Iran’s major trading partners before the conflict included India, Turkey, China, Germany, South Korea and Japan.
“This will be an economic D-DAY, and we need all of our Allies to stand with the United States of America to isolate, and defeat, the Iran threat,” Trump said.
Also Read | US debt hits $40 trillion milestone as borrowing surges under Trump, Biden
The US President also claimed Iran’s military strength had been badly weakened.
“Their navy is gone, their air force is destroyed, their military factories are now rubble, their currency is worthless, and their country is hanging by a thread,” Trump said.
“These maniacs are on the ropes, and these HISTORIC MEASURES will cripple them and their ability to project terror worldwide.”
He also repeated his position on Iran’s nuclear programme, saying, “IRAN WILL NEVER HAVE A NUCLEAR WEAPON,”.
Washington expands pressure on Tehran
Trump’s announcement follows comments by Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, who said last week that Washington planned to intensify efforts to economically isolate Iran. The US Treasury has also been pursuing sanctions under Operation Economic Fury, aimed at cutting Iran’s sources of funding.
The conflict began on February 28 with US-Israeli attacks on Iran, followed by Iranian missile and drone strikes against US targets across the Gulf.
Russia has reportedly supplied Iran with military equipment and drone-related technology, while China has continued buying Iranian oil. Pakistan has backed Iran diplomatically and pushed for talks, but has not provided military support.
Also Read | 'Yeah, I will be': Trump confirms plan to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un this year
Strait of Hormuz remains a flashpoint
The Strait of Hormuz remains central to the standoff. Trump said, “Right now the Strait is open. A lot of boats are coming through.”
Iranian Parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, however, said Tehran would not reopen the Strait until Washington met conditions including lifting the blockade, releasing frozen Iranian assets and easing oil sanctions.