After years in the US, Harry and Meghan are preparing to return to Britain, with security and their children’s schooling among key issues | File image 
World

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to return to Britain after six years in US

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are reportedly planning a Britain return, with their children expected to begin school there in September

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are preparing to move back to Britain with their two children after nearly six years in the United States, The New York Times reported, citing two people familiar with the couple’s decision.

The move would mark a major change for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who left Britain after stepping away from their roles as senior working members of the royal family in 2020.

King Charles informed about move

According to the report, King Charles III was informed about the couple’s decision on Sunday. Their return was not discussed during Harry and Meghan’s meeting with the King earlier this year, one person familiar with the matter said.

The couple are expected to continue their lives as private individuals and non-working royals after returning to Britain. They are not expected to move back into royal accommodation, while their exact place of residence has not yet been decided.

Also Read | EU chief Ursula von der Leyen backs ICC after US sanctions; says judges must act independently

Their children, Archie and Lilibet, have spent most of their lives in the US. One person familiar with the decision said the children have been enrolled at a school in Britain and are expected to begin classes in September.

Security remains a key issue

Harry and Meghan’s relationship with the royal family has remained strained since their departure. Harry was stripped of his honorary military titles and royal patronages in 2021.

Harry has also repeatedly raised concerns about security for his family in Britain. His legal battle over police protection continued after he moved to the US, with security arrangements remaining an important issue for the Duke.

The couple have spoken publicly about their experiences within the royal family. Harry discussed his life in the institution in his memoir, Spare, while he and Meghan spoke about their royal experiences during their 2021 interview with Oprah Winfrey.

Life and work after royal exit

Their move to the US was followed by a new phase of public and commercial work. Harry and Meghan signed a deal with Netflix and later released the six-part documentary series Harry & Meghan, which focused on their relationship and their departure from royal life.

Also Read | 'Yeah, I will be': Trump confirms plan to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un this year

Harry’s memoir Spare, released in 2023, also became a major commercial success, selling more than 1.43 million copies across the US, Canada and Britain on its first day.

Buckingham Palace declined to comment on the reported move, while a spokesperson for Harry and Meghan did not respond to requests for comment, according to The New York Times.