The United Arab Emirates issued an emergency missile warning on Tuesday, urging residents to immediately seek shelter after its air defence systems detected a threat directed towards the country, marking the first such alert in months amid renewed tensions in the Middle East. Residents received alerts on their mobile phones asking them to move to the nearest secure building and remain in safe locations. The National Emergency Crisis and Disaster Management Authority (NCEMA) said the country's air defence systems had identified a missile threat and advised people to rely on official warnings and updates. The alert was lifted a short while later, with authorities informing residents that the situation was safe and normal activities could resume.
Missiles detected towards UAE
The UAE Ministry of Defence confirmed that a missile threat had been detected heading towards the country. According to subsequent reports citing the ministry, two ballistic missiles had been launched from Iran. One fell outside UAE territorial waters while another came down within them. There were no immediate reports of casualties or major damage arising from Tuesday's incident.
The Defence Ministry said the country remained prepared to respond to threats to its sovereignty and security, while measures were being taken to safeguard civilians, critical infrastructure and essential services. Authorities also urged residents to avoid relying on unverified information and follow updates issued through official channels.
First warning in months
Tuesday's alert was significant because the UAE had gone months without a comparable missile threat reaching the country. There had been a false alarm in June, while another warning was issued in July over an attack that ultimately did not enter UAE territory. Before those incidents, the previous missile warning had come in early May.
The latest episode therefore represents a renewed security threat for a country that had experienced extensive missile and drone attacks earlier in the regional conflict. The UAE was among the Gulf states affected after fighting involving Iran escalated earlier this year. Emirati air defence systems were repeatedly activated as missiles and drones were directed towards the country.
Warning follows expiry of MoU
Tuesday's missile threat came a day after the expiry of a Memorandum of Understanding between Iran and the United States that had sought to halt the fighting in the region. The arrangement had contributed to a period of relative calm for the UAE. Its expiry has consequently heightened concerns that hostilities could once again spill across the Gulf.
The latest incident occurred as uncertainty continued over whether diplomatic efforts could prevent another sustained escalation. The UAE occupies a particularly sensitive position because of its geographic proximity to Iran, its economic importance and its role as one of the region's largest aviation, trade and financial hubs. Any deterioration in Gulf security can have consequences extending well beyond the immediate military confrontation.
Oil infrastructure under pressure
Security concerns have also intensified following attacks involving energy infrastructure in the region. Tankers belonging to UAE state oil company ADNOC have been targeted repeatedly in recent weeks, adding another dimension to fears surrounding the security of Gulf shipping and energy supplies. The Gulf remains central to global energy markets, making threats to vessels, ports and other infrastructure capable of producing repercussions for international oil prices and shipping.
Tuesday's missile warning, although brief, demonstrated how quickly renewed military activity can affect civilian life in the UAE. For residents, the emergency alert meant an immediate return to shelter protocols that had become familiar during earlier phases of the conflict.
Situation returns to normal
The warning was withdrawn within minutes after authorities determined that the immediate danger had passed. Residents were subsequently told that normal activities could resume. The rapid sequence — detection of a threat, an emergency shelter warning and a subsequent all-clear — also highlighted the UAE's reliance on early-warning and air-defence systems as regional tensions remain volatile.
While Tuesday's incident ended without reports of major damage, it has renewed concerns that the period of relative calm enjoyed by the UAE could prove fragile. With the diplomatic arrangement between Washington and Tehran having expired and regional tensions again rising, Emirati authorities remain on heightened alert for further missile or drone threats.