A large number of students had assembled at Albert Chowk before proceeding with the protest 
Jharkhand

Jharkhand recruitment stir turns violent as students, police clash in Ranchi

Protest over alleged irregularities escalates after High Court stays cancellation of recruitment appointments; students demand credible probe while protecting candidates selected fairly

A protest over alleged irregularities in Jharkhand government recruitment examinations turned tense in Ranchi on Friday after students clashed with police during a demonstration near the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) office. The protesters, mobilised by the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch, accused the State government of failing to ensure transparency in recruitment and attempted to burn effigies of Chief Minister Hemant Soren and Congress leader Rahul Gandhi. Police said trouble began after the demonstrators deviated from the route designated for their march and moved towards the JPSC office, disrupting traffic.

A large number of students had assembled at Albert Chowk before proceeding with the protest. Police officials said repeated requests were made to the demonstrators to remain on the prescribed route, but the crowd moved towards the commission's office. When police intervened, a scuffle followed. Student leaders, however, alleged that the authorities attempted to prevent them from exercising their right to hold a peaceful and democratic demonstration. The confrontation comes amid continuing anger over the handling of recruitment examinations conducted by the JPSC and Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission.

Detention sparks allegations

JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch leader Ravindra Paswan maintained that the students were conducting a democratic protest and said they could not be prevented from raising their demands. Another student leader, Piyush Kumar Singh, alleged that Kunal, a member of the organisation's core committee, was detained during the demonstration and later fainted before being taken to Sadar Hospital.

Protesters also alleged that women participating in the demonstration were assaulted during a confrontation involving workers of the ruling Jharkhand Mukti Morcha. The allegation could not be independently verified. Videos from Ranchi showed a sizeable crowd of protesters and police personnel at a busy intersection as slogans were raised and officers attempted to control the gathering.

Similar confrontations were reported from Hazaribag and Giridih, where students attempting to burn effigies of Soren were allegedly confronted by JMM workers. The protests indicate that the recruitment controversy, which had already triggered a prolonged student agitation, continues to generate political and public pressure despite recent intervention by the Jharkhand High Court.

High Court stays cancellations

The immediate backdrop to the latest protest is a series of court orders involving recruitment examinations and appointments. The Jharkhand High Court has stayed State government notifications cancelling appointments connected with the JSSC-CGL examination and the 11th and 13th JPSC examinations. The cancellation orders will remain in abeyance while the matter is considered further.

The court has directed the State government to submit its response within 15 days. It has also stayed the cancellation of appointments of Food Safety Officers. The orders have complicated the government's response to allegations of recruitment irregularities because candidates who successfully cleared the examinations have argued that blanket cancellations would unfairly penalise those who secured their positions legitimately.

The JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch has similarly maintained that candidates selected through a fair process should not suffer because of alleged wrongdoing by others. At the same time, it has demanded an independent and credible investigation into allegations of malpractice and manipulation in the recruitment system.

26-day agitation suspended

The latest demonstrations come shortly after students suspended a 26-day agitation following assurances from the State government. The government had announced the cancellation of 22 recruitment examinations and investigations into 23 others conducted since 2014, a decision that sought to address protesters' concerns but also created uncertainty for candidates who had already secured appointments.

Student organisations subsequently gave the government two months to act on their demands and ensure that allegations surrounding the examinations were investigated properly. The probe into the JSSC-CGL examination has meanwhile widened, with a Special Investigation Team questioning 37 suspects.

The dispute has therefore produced two competing concerns. Aspirants demanding reform want accountability for alleged examination irregularities, while candidates who have already been selected insist that legitimate appointments cannot be cancelled without establishing individual wrongdoing. The High Court's intervention has temporarily halted some of the government's cancellation measures while those questions are examined.

Fresh agitation planned

The recruitment controversy is unlikely to subside soon. Jharkhand Loktantrik Krantikari Morcha leader Devendra Nath Mahto has announced a “Recruitment System Reforms Yatra” beginning August 24, signalling another phase of mobilisation over the issue.

Mahto has also warned that protesters could consider surrounding the Chief Minister's residence if the government fails to effectively present its position before the High Court at the next crucial hearing on September 15.

The recruitment dispute is consequently unfolding simultaneously on the streets, in the courts and in the political arena. For thousands of aspirants, the central demand remains a recruitment system in which examinations are conducted transparently and appointments are protected from repeated controversies. Friday's clashes in Ranchi showed that despite government assurances and judicial intervention, confidence in that system is yet to be restored.