Sports

Nick Kyrgios provisionally suspended after testing positive for cocaine

Former Wimbledon finalist accepts responsibility after failing an in-competition drug test in Mallorca, with the Australian saying years of injury struggles had left him feeling 'helpless and alone'

Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended from tennis after testing positive for a metabolite of cocaine during an ATP tournament in Mallorca, adding another setback to the Australian's injury-hit attempt to revive his career. The International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) confirmed on Wednesday that a sample provided by Kyrgios during the ATP 250 event in Mallorca, Spain, on June 22 contained benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine.

The finding was confirmed on July 17 by a laboratory accredited by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA). A mandatory provisional suspension took effect on August 4, and Kyrgios has not appealed against it. The 31-year-old acknowledged the positive test in a statement on social media, saying he had made a “huge mistake” and accepted full responsibility. He also apologised to his family, supporters, sponsors and young fans.

ITIA to pursue case

Cocaine is prohibited in competition under the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme and is classified by WADA as a substance of abuse.

The ITIA will now prosecute the case. While the provisional suspension remains in force, Kyrgios cannot compete in or attend authorised tennis events.

The eventual length of any sanction will depend on the circumstances established during the anti-doping process. Under the rules governing substances of abuse, reduced sanctions can be available where an athlete can demonstrate that the consumption occurred out of competition and was unrelated to sporting performance.

Kyrgios' case recalls that of Britain's Dan Evans, who received a one-year ban after testing positive for cocaine in 2017.

Injuries take toll on career

The positive test comes during a prolonged period of injury problems that has transformed Kyrgios from a Grand Slam contender into a player struggling to maintain a presence on the professional circuit.

Kyrgios reached the high point of his career in 2022 when he advanced to his first Grand Slam singles final at Wimbledon. He lost the championship match to Novak Djokovic in four sets but followed that run by winning the Washington title and reaching the US Open quarter-finals.

His momentum was subsequently halted by knee and wrist problems. Since the end of 2022, Kyrgios has played only a limited number of tour-level singles matches and has struggled to put together an extended comeback.

His ranking has consequently fallen to No. 919, a remarkable decline for a player who reached a career-high ranking of No. 13 and has won seven ATP singles titles.

Kyrgios said the repeated injuries had affected him both physically and mentally and that accepting the possibility that his career was approaching its end had proved difficult.

“My body hasn't been able to do what my mind expects it to do,” he said, adding that he had at times felt “helpless and alone”. He stressed, however, that his difficulties did not excuse the positive test.

Limited action in 2026

Kyrgios has played only four singles matches this year, recording one victory and three defeats.

He was also handed a wildcard for the men's doubles at Wimbledon last month, partnering Kazakhstan's Alexander Bublik. The pair were eliminated in the opening round.

His appearance at Wimbledon came after the Mallorca sample had been collected but before the laboratory result was confirmed and the provisional suspension imposed.

Kyrgios' last singles title remains the Washington Open crown he won in August 2022, shortly after reaching the Wimbledon final. He defeated Japan's Yoshihito Nishioka in the final before going on to reach the last eight of the US Open, where Karen Khachanov ended his run.

A knee injury sustained later that year marked the beginning of a lengthy spell on the sidelines. Wrist trouble subsequently disrupted his attempts to return, including forcing him to miss Wimbledon in 2023.

Kyrgios vows to work on comeback

Despite the latest setback, Kyrgios indicated that he was not ready to close the door on his playing career.

He described the failed test as a “wake up call” and announced that he would step away from social media and public appearances for 28 days to concentrate on himself.

“I'll do the work and come back better,” Kyrgios said in his statement.

The Australian's immediate future, however, will depend on the outcome of the anti-doping proceedings. His provisional suspension will remain in place while the case is considered, leaving another question mark over a career that, since its 2022 peak, has been dominated more by rehabilitation and attempted comebacks than sustained competition.