The Union minister has praised Delhi Police for handling the NEET-UG protest, while claims of lathis, tear gas and pellet guns remain a political flashpoint | File image/PTI 
Nation

'Not one person died; shouldn't we praise cops?' Rijiju defends Delhi Police over student protest

As the Opposition continues to demand answers over police action, Rijiju has defended the force and challenged allegations that protesters were seriously harmed

Union minister Kiren Rijiju has rejected allegations of police brutality during the student protests in Delhi over the NEET-UG paper leak, saying the police handled the situation peacefully and that no one was seriously injured.

Speaking to news agency ANI, Rijiju referred to the July 20 march towards Parliament and questioned claims that firearms had been used against protesters.

“Kahan goli chali hai? (where were shots fired?) Not one person died or broke their bone or got seriously injured," he claimed.

Rijiju also defended Delhi Police and other authorities, saying they managed the protests despite what he described as the presence of “criminals” among the protesters.

Also Read | BJP announces new state in-charges for Uttar Pradesh, Punjab and Gujarat

‘Shouldn’t we praise cops?’

Rijiju claimed that people from several political groups had joined the protests and attempted to provoke violence.

“So many criminals infiltrated under the guise of students. Furthermore, more than half the people—whether from the Aam Aadmi Party, the dafli-playing agitators, the Bhim Army, or the Samajwadi Party—came and incited others to violence; yet, not a single casualty occurred,” he said.

He further claimed that no lathi was used during the protest and said police intervention began when demonstrators moved towards Parliament.

“There were no deaths, right? So shouldn't we praise cops? Police is also there for our protection. They managed everything so peacefully and yet we are criticising them. This is not right,” Rijiju said.

Pellet gun allegations remain disputed

The July 20 Parliament march, called by the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) and climate activist Sonam Wangchuk, had triggered a major controversy after clashes between protesters and police.

Visuals from the protest showed police personnel lathi-charging students, while allegations of pellet-gun use also surfaced. Opposition leaders, including Rahul Gandhi, raised the issue in Parliament.

Reports said at least a dozen Rapid Action Force (RAF) personnel were issued pellet guns that morning, although the weapons were later withdrawn after allegations emerged that they were used against protesters.

Also Read | 'He is active & young': Union minister Athawale invites CJP founder Abhijeet Dipke to join RPI(A)

Five people also claimed they were hit by pellets during the march. Students separately alleged that tear gas was used during the protests, including on July 25.

Opposition keeps pressing government

Allegations of police action have remained a point of contention during the Monsoon Session of Parliament.

The Opposition has sought a statement from Union Home minister Amit Shah over alleged use of lathis, tear gas, shock batons and pellet guns. Rahul Gandhi also displayed injuries reportedly suffered by a student, while the government has maintained that pellet guns were not used.

On Monday, some Opposition leaders also alleged that questions raised by MPs were being disallowed or left unanswered.