The Supreme Court on Wednesday sought clarity from the Centre on the role of the Nandan Nilekani-led task force formed to overhaul India’s examination system, while hearing a case related to the NEET paper leak.
The bench asked the government to explain how the newer panel’s recommendations relate to those of the K Radhakrishnan committee, which was constituted in 2024 and had focused extensively on NEET and reforms within the National Testing Agency (NTA).
Court asks Centre to explain two panels’ roles
The Nilekani-led task force has a broader mandate covering the country’s examination system as well as the statutory framework governing the NTA. Its recommendations are intended to make the system “robust, secure, transparent, trustworthy and future-ready”, with technologies including artificial intelligence and blockchain being considered.
Also Read | SC seeks Centre’s affidavit on NTA reforms, calls for permanent exam security framework
The court asked the Centre to place on record whether the Nilekani panel had modified or “nuanced” the recommendations made by the Radhakrishnan committee. It also sought details on how much of the recommendations from both panels had been implemented.
Shift from paper to computer-based exams
During the hearing, petitioners highlighted the Radhakrishnan committee’s recommendation to move towards computer-based testing.
The committee had identified physical examinations as one of the weaker points in the examination process because question papers have to be printed, transported and stored, creating additional stages where security can be compromised.
The issue of shifting NEET-UG from its current pen-and-paper format to computer-based testing is already under consideration by the government.
Government weighs digital examination system
In an earlier affidavit filed before the court, the Centre said it was considering whether NEET-UG should move to computer-based testing in either a single-stage or two-stage format. A final decision, it said, would be taken after considering the Nilekani task force’s recommendations.
Solicitor General Mehta told the bench that the government was examining whether a human-based process or a completely digital system would provide greater security.
Also Read | Supreme Court acquits two Gujarat govt employees in Rs 20 bribery case after 30-year legal battle
The bench asked the committee to examine the issue before making its recommendations.
“Let the committee reflect on it and tell us,” the bench said.
The court’s questions come as examination security remains under scrutiny following the NEET paper leak case, with the government weighing wider changes to how major entrance and recruitment examinations are conducted.